Evelyn’s House provides a holistic approach to the emotional, spiritual and physical care of terminally ill patients of all ages, offering therapies for complex symptoms or respite in a home-like setting. Located adjacent to Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital, Evelyn’s House is a reflection of our ongoing commitment to the community.
With 16 spacious suites, families can enjoy time together in comfort and privacy. This beautiful hospice home also offers inviting family gathering spaces, kitchen and dining rooms to share home-cooked meals and comfortable spaces for loved ones to sleep.
The 18,000 square foot ranch-style hospice house offers warm, comfortable surroundings where hospice patients can receive specialized care that involves family members and caregivers. The compassionate, interdisciplinary BJC team members provide personalized end-of-life care for both adult and pediatric patients through symptom management for patients and respite for their caregivers – making every moment count.
Learn about career opportunities at Evelyn's House.
Specialized on-site staff include:
- Medical director
- Nurse practitioner
- Registered nurses
- Social worker
- Spiritual counselor
- Music therapist
- Expressive therapist
- Sixteen private suites for adults, teens and children
- Walkout patio off every suite
- Family gathering spaces with overnight accommodations
- Dedicated music and expressive therapy rooms
- Family kitchen and cafe
- Meditation room
- Ability playhouse for special-needs children
- Kids and teen activity room
Evelyn's House emphasizes:
- Hospice-specialized care team
- Leading-edge communication and safety
- Natural, comfortable surroundings
THE GUIDELINES BELOW ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED AT THIS TIME TO BALANCE THE IMPORTANCE OF VISITATION WHILE MANAGING INCREASED INFECTION CONTROL PROTOCOLS AND HIGH QUALITY PATIENT CARE. GUIDELINES CAN CHANGE AT ANY TIME. WE RECOGNIZE THAT FAMILY AND FRIENDS PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF THEIR LOVED ONES AND WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING.
- Only four visitors will be allowed per patient in the building at any given time. Any additional visitors may use the patio outside their loved one’s room, and masking and social distancing requirements will remain in place for all. Doors should remain closed during the visitation. Outside visitation will end at dusk to maintain visitor safety.
- All visitors must be masked. Medical-grade masks are required. Masks available upon request. Visitor(s) will need to sign in and out on the visitor log for tracking.
- Visitors must use the intercom and know the code word to gain entry.
- If visitor is experiencing any symptoms of fever, cough, trouble breathing, new loss of sense of taste or sense of smell, body aches, sore throat, new or worsening diarrhea, visitors are requested not to visit until symptoms free. Individuals with a contagious disease should not visit patients.
- Two visitors can spend the night in the patient room. The gathering rooms are available to reserve for up to four overnight visitors; families may reserve by 12 p.m. for occupancy from 9 p.m. – 9 a.m.
- The gathering rooms are open from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. to all visitors; social distancing requirements remain.
- The common areas are open to visitors (eg. café, family kitchen, great room), social distancing requirements remain. Signs are posted with room occupancy.
- Visitors may use the bathroom in the patient’s room. Please bring meals, snacks, drinks, medications and change of clothing that you would like to have.
- Floral delivery and restaurant delivery of meals is allowed.
- The hours from 10 p.m. – 8 a.m. are designated quiet times that both patients and visitors must follow.
- Visitors must follow hand hygiene protocols and any precautions that may be patient specific.
- Visitors under the age of 12 MUST BE accompanied by a responsible adult at least 18 years of age.
- Other options for visiting are by electronic means of Zoom or Facetime, if applicable.
- Smoking is not permitted in the facility or on the grounds.
- Additional limitations may be necessary depending on patient need or updated BJC recommendations.
Referrals are made by your physician to manage common symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, agitation, medication management or respite for caregiver relief.
1000 North Mason Road Creve Coeur, Missouri 63141 314.996.8100
Songs Inspired By Evelyn's House
Listen to "Love In This Home" composed and performed by A. Cole, K. Funk and C. Tyburczy, BJC Hospice
Listen to "Celebrate Me Home" sung by Alison J. T. Cole, MT-BC, NMT/F Music Therapist, BJC Hospice
Patrick White, MD, HMDC, FACP, FAAHPM, BJC Hospice chief medical officer, leads Evelyn's House. “Evelyn's House offers our patients exceptional quality medical care in a peaceful, home-like setting designed specifically to enhance dignity and support patients and families,” he says. “We are so grateful to our donors and for the thousands of hours of hard work by our staff, volunteers, and community partners, who have made this dream a reality in the St. Louis community. We are proud to be able to offer patients with serious medical illness personalized medical care delivered from a highly trained and compassionate interdisciplinary team.”
“The St. Louis community’s generosity and commitment to compassionate end-of-life care helps us more fully embrace patients and families during a difficult time,” Dr. White says. “Our community will be better for having a hospice house.”
Evelyn’s House is named in honor of Evelyn Newman, a prominent St. Louis community leader and philanthropist, who passed away in 2015. Her generous spirit inspired her family to make a special gift that, together with other thoughtful donor gifts, have given hospice care a warm, welcoming home.
Learn more about the story of Evelyn’s House here >>
Celebrating 5 years of innovative hospice care >>
What our families say about us:
"Thank you to all who care for our mother in her last days at Evelyn's House. Your kindness and professionalism was a source of comfort to us all."
"Thank you BJC Hospice and Evelyn's House for your guidance, information, and support you gave to our family during our time of need for my father. We just couldn't have done it without you. Evelyn's House is the most caring, understanding group of professionals I have ever seen in the medical field. You don't even feel like you're in a medical facility. Beautifully decorated from the entrance throughout. Staff greeting you at the door and taking us on a tour, and most importantly caring for my father like I would do myself if I could. I was overwhelmed by the love shown to my father. I cannot say enough nice things about this home. I am very touched by their level of generosity, and love that goes into every patient and family member, and friend who enter. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will never forget my experience there, and how you treated my father with such care and respect. May you continue for many years in the future helping others as you helped us."