BJC Hospice is always in need of adult and teen volunteers to donate their time.
Hospice patients are often adults, and sometimes children. In hospice's goal of helping patients live their life among those who love them, most of our patients still live in their homes, or in a senior living residence. Patients with acute needs will stay at Evelyn's House, our hospice house.
There are numerous ways volunteers can help patients and families live life to the fullest. The amount of time you volunteer is your choice, and you are guided each step of the way with ongoing training and support from a volunteer coordinator.
If interested, call the volunteer coordinator in your area. After completing an application, you will be contacted for a personal interview and will then attend a volunteer training session.
Regular volunteer opportunities:
- Visiting adult patients (and occasionally pediatric patients) in their own home, senior living residence or Evelyn’s House
- Caregiver relief
- Child care
- Running errands
- Pet therapy
- Office support in the office and/or from home
- Manicurists and hair dressers
- Handyman and yard work volunteers
- Massage therapists
Specialty volunteer opportunities
- Junior volunteer program — individual volunteers and school-sponsored clubs visit patients and their families, fundraise for hospice , or hold events at school to support hospice programs
- Lumina program — life review and memory videos
- PasSage program — being present with patients in their final 24-48 hours
- Samantha’s Gift program — delivering and making fleece tie or knitted blankets, making cards for patients or “I’m thinking of you” mementos
- Spiritual care program — providing spiritual support to patients and their families
- Bereavement program — providing calls and visits to bereaved families
- Bereavement camps and retreats:
- Volunteering at Stepping Stones Camp — a weekend camp for children ages 6-12 who have lost a loved one
- Volunteering at the Weavings weekend retreat — a retreat for mothers who have lost a child of any age
- We Honor Veterans — veterans helping veterans at the end of life
Volunteers are needed in the following counties in Missouri:
- St. Louis
- St. Louis City
- St. Charles
- Ste. Genevieve
- St. Francois
Volunteers are needed in the following counties in Illinois:
- St. Clair