Community Grief Support
For our hospice families as well as for anyone in the community, we provide community grief support for adults, teens and children who have lost a loved one or someone close to them.
BJC Hospice offers grief camps, retreats and support groups, at no cost to the participant, due to the generous donations from the community and the support of volunteers.
Please share this information with anyone in the community who might benefit from attending one of our programs or who might be able to support us through a donation.
Our grief support camps, retreats and groups include:
- Stepping Stones, a weekend grief camp for children ages 6-12 who have experienced the death of a family member or friend. Stepping Stones offers a place for children to honor their loved one in an atmosphere of understanding and encouragement.
- Labyrinth, a one-day grief retreat for teens, 13-19, who have experienced the death of a family member or friend. Labyrinth helps teens form connections with one another and learn ways to heal.
- Wings on Wheels, a mobile expressive therapy program that supports individuals, families and groups impacted by illness and loss.
- Daybreak, a one-day grief retreat for couples who have experienced the death of a child at any age. Daybreak creates a sense of community where couples can find strength and support from one another.
- Weavings, a weekend retreat for mothers who have experienced the death of a child at any age. Weavings honors their forever motherhood while creating a community of support.
- Threshold and Portals, two support groups for spouse and partner loss that provides a safe, comforting environment to process grief and learn ways to cope. These groups can often be a doorway to hope, even when hope seems unimaginable at first.
We are always looking for volunteers for our Stepping Stones camp and Weavings retreat.
- Cabin buddies
- Activity volunteers
- Set up crew
We are always looking for people who could perform the following services to our mothers in an effort to care for and pamper them during the weekend:
- Massage therapy
- Reiki or Healing Touch
- Yoga Nidra
- Tibetan Singing Bowls
- Manicures/ Pedicures
If anyone is willing and available to share their gifts and talents with bereaved mothers, we would greatly appreciate their generous offerings. Call 314.953.1676 or email BJC Hospice if you have questions or if you are interested in volunteering.
Any donation, large or small, is very helpful for all of our grief support programs.
- $500 will pay for a Stepping Stones camper or Weavings participant to attend for a weekend
- $200 will pay for 8 wooden memory boxes or 4 self-care baskets for mothers at the Weavings retreat
- $100 will pay for supplies to make stepping stones for 24 campers
- $50 will pay for mask supplies for 10 teens at our Labyrinth retreat
- $25 will pay for 10 journals or touch stones for participants at the Daybreak retreat for couples
Grief camp and retreat supply wish list:
- Paint pens
- Fabric markers
- Sharpies (black and colors)
- Acrylic paints (any regular, pearl, or metallic color)
- Individual Kleenex packs
- Flashlights with batteries
- Glo-necklaces or bracelets
- 8-inch white candles in glass
- Glass pieces to use when making stepping stones
- Tulip brand tie-dye powder refills
- Jewelry making tools and supplies
If you would like to donate any of these items, email us or call 314.953.1676.
Groups and Businesses
If you, your group, or your business/organization would like to donate a certain product, make something for us, or work on a project with us, please let us know. Some past examples of ways people have helped include:
- Individuals and groups have provided help in the office with some preparation and organization of supplies for projects before camp or one of the retreats (painting boxes, making copies, cutting and pasting, etc.)
- Boy Scout and Girl Scout troops have made memory wooden boxes for our teen retreat and retreat for mothers
- Retailers and individuals have donated items such as chocolates, candles, natural soaps, scarves, etc. to be added to self-care baskets that each mother receives at our Weavings retreat
For more information, call 314.953.1676 or email us.