WOW: 314-953-1969 or email@example.com
Wings on Wheels is the winner of the 2014 Missouri Hospice and Palliative Care Association Program Award
Wings on Wheels photo gallery
For more information, watch this video
To see the mobile expressive therapy van up close, watch this video
Supporting children affected by illness or grief
Sometimes kids need help expressing their grief. Words about difficult feelings don't always come easily to children. BJC Hospice expressive therapists work compassionately with children using visual art, music, writing and play therapies to provide awareness of the impact of illness and loss.
Wings on Wheels (W.O.W.) was created to extend expressive therapy into the community. A brightly colored van is ready to roll, going where it's needed -- schools, scouts, churches, families and neighborhoods -- to connect our expressive therapy to children and families in the metropolitan St. Louis community where they live, learn and play. A specially trained expressive therapist leads creative activities to help children explore their thoughts and feelings, celebrate life and honor relationships.
Education and resources are also provided for parents and adult leaders so additional support can continue.
About Wings on Wheels
- W.O.W is offered at no charge to community groups and families.
- Services are provided to pre-school age children through young adults.
- A professional counselor offers expressive therapy activities such as art, play, and music therapies.
When to call Wings on Wheels
- When there is an extended absence due to illness and the desire to compassionately help children connect with one another in the community
- When there is an unexpected absence or loss of a parent, sibling, classmate, teacher, coach, friend, team mate or other significant relationship within a child's life and community
- When there is a need to help support children in their loss and grief
- When there is a community disaster or tragedy impacting children and their families
For more information, call 314-953-1WOW (314-953-1969) or e-mail Wings on Wheels.
This program is funded by Friends of Wings, and generous corporate and individual donors.
I’m so grateful that we encountered Wings On Wheels. Their visits to our home have included laughter, art projects that help the kids connect back to memories of their mother, gentle discussions about the loss they’ve experienced, and some tears. The kids have been refreshed, and when the WOW team leaves our house there are always smiles on all faces, ... in addition to a sense of someone having helped us do a difficult work we were struggling to do by ourselves. They have gone out of their way to care for a family that misses someone very important.
~ Tom, father of eight children