Moving forward with hope
Wings on Wheels (W.O.W.) is a mobile expres sive therapy and music therapy program for individuals, families and groups affected by illness or loss.
WOW supports children, teens and young adults through the use of two vehicles that travel throughout the metro St. Louis area and surrounding counties in Illinois. WOW team members work in the community visiting individuals, families and groups at family homes, schools, places of worship and other local organizations.
Download the W.O.W Brochure.
Listen to the radio interviews with Jennifer Lang, BJC Hospice expressive therapist, to learn about the Wings on Wheels program.
WOW Missouri is an expressive therapy program that is run by a licensed professional counselor.
Expressive arts therapy involves using creative activities such as visual arts, movement, and writing to foster personal growth, emotional expression, and healing. Expressive therapy interventions include (but are not limited to):
- Therapeutic drawing or painting
- Collage and mask making
- Memory box making
- Therapeutic games
- Puppets and imaginative play
Bibliotherapy and Writing
- Reading and discussing therapeutic books
- Letter writing
Movement and Music
- Music for relaxation
- Deep breathing and stretching
WOW Illinois is a music therapy focused program that is run by a board certified music therapist.
Music therapy professionals use music to provide avenues for communication and emotional expression/processing, especially when words are hard to find. Music therapists lead interventions that include (but are not limited to):
- Creating an original song with participants for memory making and emotional expression
Lyric analysis/song discussion
- Using elements of songs to discuss experiences, feelings and promote healing
Group drumming or instrument play
- Using musical improvisation through drumming and instrument play as an outlet for emotions
- Creating a musical story through instrument play, songs, and/or spoken stories to convey and process thoughts and feelings
The Goals Of The Wow Program For Children, Teens And Young Adults Include:
- Providing support for individuals, families, and groups who are impacted by life-limiting or terminal illness or who have experienced the death of someone significant to any cause (not only hospice related deaths)
- Creating a safe place to identify, express, and process emotions and thoughts surrounding the illness or loss
- Encouraging development of healthy coping strategies and increasing resiliency
- Facilitating meaningful communication and encouraging a positive shared experience through verbal and non-verbal methods
Donations from the Friends of Wings and the community allow this service to be provided free of charge.
For WOW Missouri call 314.953.1969 or e-mail WingsOnWheels@bjc.org
For WOW Illinois call 618.463.7779 or email email@example.com